Saturday 5 July 2014

Carrot Cake Porridge



This recipe has been adapted from Sinead Dyer's post on the Thermomix recipe community. It's a bit of a play on Sarah Wilson's "I Quit Sugar" Carrot Cake Porridge Whip. As someone with a real weakness for raw cake mix, I loved the resemblance this porridge has to carrot cake batter.  Both my 3.5 year old and 9 month old baby loved it-such a great way to smuggle an extra vege into their diet. I have blitzed the carrot in mine so that there are no chunky bits for my boys to discover, but you could certainly leave it a little chunkier if you prefer. This recipe has got just the right amount of spice and sweetness, without any added refined sugar. In my house, this is enough for 2 adults or 1 adult and 2 small kids.

Carrot Cake Porridge
Ingredients

2 pitted dates or 1 Medjool date
1 carrot, unpeeled, chopped into thirds
60 grams oats
145 grams milk
145 grams water
Handful sultanas
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg

Handful walnuts and blueberries to serve.

Method
Blitz carrot and dates on speed 10 for 5 seconds. Scrape down bowl and blitz for another 5 seconds on speed 10. Add all other ingredients (except walnuts and blueberries) and cook for 10 mins at 90 degrees, speed 2, reverse. Serve topped with a small dash of extra milk, the walnuts and blueberries, plus a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, if you need the extra sweetness.

1 comment:

  1. I hate porridge but all 3 boys love love it so I usually make a batch most mornings. I made this one this morning and even mas a non-porridge eater I reckon it tasted pretty damn good. Rob wasn't here but the two little boys didn't really take to it even though I added an extra date and a teaspoon of brown sugar. I think Harper just followed Noah's lead but Noah just heard that it had carrot in it and set his mind against it from the start. Looks like I'm back to my regular apple and cinnamon mix - bummer. #littleshits

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I hope you are enjoying the recipes.